Tomorrow, on the 16th of August at 10:00 a.m. CST, I’ll board a plane about to start a journey that, although exciting, is more so new and terrifying.
In my backpack will be:
- 1 pair of Nike SB Blazers
- 1 pair of New Balance 288s
- 1 fancifully colored, French swimsuit
- 5 pairs of socks (3 merino wool, 1 to remind me where I’m from, 1 to remind me where I’m going)
- 3 pairs of blue merino wool underwear
- 1 pair of Nike athletic shorts
- 1 pair of Outlier Slim Dungaree shorts
- 2 pairs of Outlier Slim Dungaree pants
- 2 white under shirts
- 2 merino wool polo shirts
- 1 merino wool sweater
- 1 REI rain coat featuring pit zips!
- 1 OBEY cap
- 1 handmade linen towel
- Dr. Bronner’s soap
- Apple charger
- European converter
- REI travel pillow
When I arrive in Atlanta, it will be 1:03 p.m.. I’ll wait for 5 hours, playing games, maybe reading something, try to catch up on Game of Thrones, watching peoples faces and interactions, thinking and overthinking about where I am and what I am doing, until I eventually get on another plane and try to sleep next to a stranger.
When I wake up, I’ll probably be confused, I won’t speak the language, and I’ll be exactly where I wanted to be.